Welcome To Our Lady of Loreto

 

 

 

 

 

Please help support this website by making a donation of your choice.
Thank you 
 
 
 

 

Photos From The Past

If you have any photos of Our Lady Of Loretto or any of the stores or
 landmarks from the old neighborhood, please send me the photos and
I will add them to this page.
 
Please visit the Photos Wanted page.

 

 

Unauthorized copying or use of images is strictly prohibited. Copyright � 2008

 
 
 
The Knish Man
Ruby Oshinsky
Born January 3, 1917
Died October 9, 1987

The best homemade Knishes in the world
 
     
 
 
Landmarks
 
 
 
The original Carlucci's Restaurant
1845 Eastern Parkway
1950 thru 1977

 
 
Owners of Carlucci's
Anthony V. Bilardi & Elvera Bilardi
Son Carl is on the left
 
 
 
 
 
 
Our Lady of Loreto Rectory
 
 
 
 
Pacific St. & Sackman St.
Molinari Funeral Home on the left, Loretto on the right.

 
 
 
 
Pacific St. & Junius St.

 
 
 
Our Lady of Loretto School

 
 
Our Lady of Loretto School
Demolition in progress
Photo taken May 29, 2007

                                    
 
 
The Remains of Loretto School
 
 
 
Our Lady of Loretto Church, Rectory and Convent
 
 
 
 
Pacific St. & Sackman St.
Former site of Zollo's Luncheonette
 
 
 
 
 
Marino's Grocery Store     Mid 1930
1684 East New York Ave off Sackman St.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Original Matchbook From Tex's Restaurant
2352 Atlantic ave.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Atlantic Ave & Eastern Pkwy. Photo taken in 1940
Before the construction of the Atlantic Ave Viaduct.

 

 

Atlantic Ave. & Eastern Parkway 1954
Looking West towards Rockaway Ave.
 
 
 

Current photo of Atlantic Ave & Eastern Pkwy

 
 
 
Molinari Funeral Home
 
 
 
 
Miranda Beer Distributors
2451 Dean St.

 
 
 
Rossi Pharmacy
1906 Eastern Pkwy

                                                           
 
 
 
2416 - 2414 - 2412 Pacific St.  

 
                               
 
2408 - 2406 - 2404 Pacific St.
 
                                                          
 
138 Sackman St.
 
 
 
 
 
The Italian American Civil Rights League
 
 
 
 
Our Lady of Loreto
Powell St. off Liberty Ave.
1896 - 1908

 
 
Atlantic Ave. & Sackman St. 1930

 
 
 
Giorgianni Pharmacy 1942
2272 Pacific St. off Easterm Pkway
 
 
 
 
 
Highland Park

 
 
Indian Bridge, Highland Park

 
 
 
 East New York Ave. & Bergen St.
Condos have been built on this site.
 
 
 
 
East New York Ave. & Stone Ave. 1954
Before the construction of the Howard Houses
 
 
 
 
 
The infamous Midnight Rose's candy store.
Livonia and Saratoga Ave. Headquarters of Murder Inc.
 
 
 
 
 
House of the Good Shepherd
Hopkinson Ave. & Pacific St.
 
 
 
 
 
Bilello's Bakery Delivery Truck 1950s
2271 Pacific St.  
 
 
 
 
Stone Ave. & Sumpter St. 1941

 
 
Monaco Pl. & Herkimer St. 1936

 
 
Callahan & Kelly Park
Bounded by Fulton St. & Truxton St.
Van Sinderen Ave. & Eastern Pkwy.
The park was named after two local soldiers who died
in World War 1. William E. Callahan and Edward E. Kelly

In 1956 the Fulton St. elevated railway was demolish.
 
 
 
 
Monaco Pl. & Atlantic Ave. 1940

 
                                       
 Lutheran Hospital and Dispensary, 1940
East New York Ave. and Junius Street.

 

 
                                                                                              
Diana Coal Oil
Atlantic Ave. & Conduit Blvd
1955 -1981
 Recently demolished
 
Courtesy of Frank Jump http://fadingad.wordpress.com
 
 
 
McConnell Slate Company
East New York Ave. & Pacific St. (Near Junius St.)
     
 
 
 
 
The present entrance of the LIRR
East New York station Jamaica-bound 
Atlantic Ave & Van Siclen Ave.

 

 

LIRR Ticket Window Under East New York Station

 
 
 
Atlantic Ave. Viaduct 

                       
 
 
LIRR East New York Station
Atlantic Ave & Van Siclen Ave.

 

 

Yellow Auto Supplies
2533 Atlantic Ave. off Williams Ave
 
 
 
PS 155
1355 Herkimer Street
Under Construction in 1908

          
 
Current Photo
PS 155
1355 Herkimer Street

 
 
 
 
 
Howard Ave. & Eastern Pkwy.

 
 
 
White Castle
Atlantic Ave & Highland PL.
Opened in 1955
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Carvel Ice Cream
Atlantic Ave & Highland PL.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Atlantic Ave & Georgia Ave.
 
 
 
Jimmy's Diner
2592 Atlantic Ave.  Coner of Georgia Ave.
 
 
 
                              
Loew's Pitkin Theatre 
Pitkin Ave & Legion Street

 
 
 
 
Belmont Ave. Puchcart Market
 
 
 
 
Sackman St & Pitkin Ave.  1965

                                                                        
 
Pitkin Ave. & Christopher Ave. 1964

                              
 
 
 
 
The Kishke King 
1711 Pitkin Ave.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Pietro LaBarbera Grocery   (Mid 1930)
177 Rockaway Ave.
 
 
 
Ariola Bakery
143 Rockaway Ave.
Between Herkmer & Fulton St.
 
 
 
Mrs Maxwell's Bakery
2700 Atlantic Ave.
 
 
 
1930 Photo of Atlantic Ave. looking East from Wiliams Ave.
 
 
 
NYPD 73rd Pct Police Car
1968 Plymouth Fury
 
 
 
The 73rd Pct
East New York Ave. & Rockaway Ave.
 
 
 
Brownsville Boys Club
Stone Ave. & Liberty Ave.
 
 
 Pitkin Ave. & Rockaway Ave. 1965
 
 
St. Michael's School
237 Jerome St. Off Liberty Ave.
 
St. Michael's Chapel
 
 
Piel's Brewery Delivery Truck
315 Liberty Ave.
Founded in 1883 by the Pies Brothers
 
 
 
Our Lady of Lourdes
DeSales Pl.
 
 
 
 
 
The RKO Bushwick Theatre
Broadway & Howard Ave
Opened on September 11, 1911 - Closed in 1969
 
 
 
 
 
Unity Hospital
1545 St. John�s Place, Brooklyn, NY
Opened in 1924 Closed in 1978
 
 
 
 
Trommer's Restaurant & Brewery. Bushwick Ave. and Conway St.
Home of Trommer's white Label Beer
Sold to the Piel Brothers in 1951

 

Aerial photo of Betsy Head Pool
Bounded by Livonia, Dumont,
Hopkinson and Blake Aves
 
 
 
East New York Savings Bank
Stone Ave. & Pitkin Ave.
 
 
 
Rare 1923 Photo of Atlantic Ave. looking West from Sackman St.
 
 
 
 
 
Brownsville Public Library
581 Stone Ave. and Dumont Ave.
 
 
 
The Brownsville Puplic Library
61 Glenmore Ave
 
 
 
East New York Ave. Underpass
Our Lady of Loretto in the backround
 
 
 
In 1943 Atlantic Ave. was elevated above the LIRR East New York Station.
 
 
 
 
Atlantic Ave. & Junius St.
 
 
 
H. Fox & Co. Inc
146 Thatford Ave.
Makers of U-bet Syrup
 
 
Sackman St & Glemnore Ave.
 
 
 
BMT "L" Line
Atlantic Ave. Station
 
 
 
Russian Orthodox Church
Pennsylvania Ave & Glenmore Ave.
 
 
St. Clements Church
Pennsylvania Ave & Liberity Ave.
 
 
Herkmer St. & Sackman St.
 
 
Broadway Junction Subway Station
Fulton St. & Van Sinderen Ave.
 
 
William H. Maxwell High School
145 Pennsylvania Avenue
 
 
 
ENY Bus Depot
Jamicia Ave. & Alabama Ave. 
 
 
 
YMCA
570 Jamaica Avenue
 
 
ENY Savings Bank 1938
Pennsylvania and Atlantic Ave.
 
 
Coney Island Joe's Hot Dogs
Linden Blvd & Stone Ave.
 
 
Franklin K Lane High School
 
 
 
Fulton St & Rockaway Ave.  1942
 
 
 
TSS Store on Linden Blvd.
 
 
 
Harry Houdini's Gravesite (With Bust)
Machpelh Cemetery, Cypress Hills, NY
The original Bust was stolen in 1975
It was replaced and stolen again in 1983
 
 
The Men of the Pacific Street Social Club.
This is a Must Have book with great authentic
Italian recipes and neighborhood memorabilia.
 
 
 
Did you know???
 
East New York was developed by John R. Pitkin. A Connecticut
merchant who visualized it as a great city rivaling New York.
John R. Pitkin bought a large plot of land in 1835 as a speculativ
e

venture, and named it "East New York" under the belief that this
would become the eastern edge of the great city. The scheme failed
during the depression of 1837, but the name stuck and East New York was born.
 
By the 1930s, the residents were chiefly Italians, Jewish, Germans, and Russians
who moved in from Brownsville, Bushwick, and other nearby crowded localities.
 
 
 
Eastern Parkway. Brooklyn. NY
 
Eastern Parkway was the world's first six-lane highway.
It was completed in 1874
 
 
Outside The Neighborhood
 
 
 
 
Bedford Avenue Brooklyn, NY
Bedford Avenue is the longest street in Brooklyn. Stretching 10.2 miles
and 132 blocks from Greenpoint south to Sheepshead Bay.
 
 
 
Paramount Theater
DeKalb and Flatbush
 
 
 
 
Van Wyck Lanes
132-40 Metropolitan Ave.
Richmond Hill, NY
Opened in 1960 - Closed in 1988
 
 
Junior's Restaurant
DeKalb and Flatbush Ave
The best cheesecake in New York
 
 
Freedomland Amusement Park
Freedomland was a short-lived amusement
park in the Baychester area of The Bronx.
Opened June 19, 1960. It closed in the 1964
season when it failed to make a profit.
 
Co-op City now stands in it's place.
                                                    The Freedomland Jingle
Mommy and Daddy take my hand......
                                                              take me out to Freedomland.
 
 
 Lundy Brothers seafood restaurant
 Emmons Avenue, 1946
 
 
Sunrise Drive-In Theater
Sunrise Highway, Valley Stream, NY
Opened in1938
 
 
 Williamsburg Savings Bank
1 Hanson Pl. Brooklyn,
Tallest building in Brooklyn
 
 
The New York Daily Mirror
Published In 1924
 In 1938 the Cost was 2 cents
 
 
 
Empire Roller Rink
200 Empire Blvd
 
 
 
Utica Joe's Hot dog stand
Farragut Rd and Utica Ave
 
 
 
 Truck Ride
The Whip
 
 
 
Truck Ride
Half Moon
 
 
 
 Idlewild Airport
The airport was renamed John F. Kennedy
International Airport in 1963, one month after
the assassination of President Kennedy.
 
 
 
 Rockaway Playland
Rockaway Beach, NY
Opened in 1901 Closed in 1986
 
 
Chocolate Egg Cream
The Egg Cream was created in
1890 by a Brooklyn candy shop
owner name Louis Auster
 
 
 
 The Elmhurst Gas Tanks
57th Ave and Grand Ave
Built in 1910 and 1921.
Demolished in 2001
 
 
 Anthony's Hospital
89-15 Woodhaven Blvd
 
 
 
 Silvercup Bread
34-02 Starr Ave. Long Island City
 
 
 
 
 Palisades Amusement Park was located
in Cliffside Park and Fort Lee, NJ.
Opened 1898 - Closed 1971
 
 
 
 
Bungalow Bar Ice Cream
 
 
 
21 Garfield Pl. Brooklyn
Birthplace of Al Capone
 
 
Domino Sugar
Kent Avenue off South 1st Street.
 
 
Floyd Bennett Field
 New York City's first Municipal Airport
Opened in 1931
 
 
 
 
Doo Wop
With Wolfman Jack
Born in Brooklyn, NY
Jan. 1938 - July 1995
Wolfman's real name
Robert Smith
 
 
 
 
 
 
 New York
New York received it's name in 1665 after the English seized it from the Dutch
and renamed it in honor of James, the Duke of York and brother of King Charles II.
New York achieved statehood in 1788, as the 11th State in the United States of America.
 
 
 
 
 
 
More photos coming soon.
 

Contact pi4dom@aol.com

Dominick Mondelli (Donny)